This project required the conversion of an early 20th century semi-rural house with a certain historical value, in a position on the edge of the plot which local building regulations no longer permit. The chosen approach is a contemporary transformation that maintains the building’s form but redesigns the roof, facades and interior spaces.
The house originally comprised just one dwelling with outer extensions added to its facade. These additions were removed and the internal staircase was replaced by a new outdoor entrance leading directly to the first floor, permitting the creation of a second apartment. The roof was also replaced and conforms precisely to the original 1915 form, in accordance with building regulations, with refinement of the eaves, three skylights and drainpipes. The composition of the openings in the facade have been completely revised.
The design of the interior spaces is based on a nautical architecture metaphor, both to meet to the wishes of the owners, who are keen sailors, and to solve issues arising from the lack of a basement. Maintaining a direct relationship with the external spaces, the living areas have a fluid but subtly-defined arrangement around a central core that houses the cupboards, kitchen equipment and serving spaces, bathrooms, dressing room, utility room, pantry and technical facilities.